Positive feedback should have contingent, descriptive praise.
- “Good Job”, “Nice work” is not enough.
- Provide specific examples of what was done correctly. “Great job delivering the stimulus at the correct time.”
- Provide an empathy statement
- Describe ineffective performance
- Provide a rationale for desired change in performance
- Provide instructions and demonstration for how to improve designated performance
- Provide opportunities to practice the desired performance
- Provide immediate feedback
You can provide feedback in many different ways:
- Formal (e.g., in scheduled situations such as pre-arranged meetings)
- Informal (e.g., ongoing, on-the-job
Post below an example of giving feedback using one of the listed ways above.